Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Moving Process


We made it in one piece to St. Paul and are partially settled into our new house. It's been a marathon event of sorts, but all the pieces came together. We sold our house in T-Town on Monday and then drove up to Omaha Monday night to stay with a friend up there. Then on Tuesday we rolled into St. Paul and closed on our house. We love it! I'll post pictures soon, but first I want to describe the Leaving Tulsa Experience. Day by day, we packed up more stuff as we prepared to leave. Somewhere along the line, we decided we wanted to use movers, which was a pretty good decision, all things considered. So we kept packing and packing, and having garage sales, and slowly each room became a bunch of boxes, with some furniture. We slowly packed up our life, piece by piece. It made me think alot about things - and how many things I have, even when I don't think I actually have that many things. Packing is like watching your life unfold in a reverse sort of fashion - the goal is to arrive at an absence: an absence of stuff in the rooms, an absence of furniture. Everything we built our life around needed to end up in a box or gone. It's a funny process. (A side note: now that I'm unpacking stuff here, I can't believe some of what I brought - we'll probably have another garage sale or something!) It was also sad to leave the T-Town pad, because although we didn't do much to the inside while we were there, we did all sorts of stuff outside, and it was hard to leave that. In fact, I didn't leave all of that - I took some rhubarb, some horseradish plants, some irises, and some seeds from plants I had put in this spring. So tonight put in green beans, cilantro, and dill. We'll see what happens. My guess is that it'll germinate and we might have some fresh cilantro. I'm also clearing out an area for some greens - lettuce and other stuff.

The house in Tulsa was great - a first house so there's some deep bonding there, but this house is great! I hadn't seen it until we arrived on Tuesday, but I love it. The back yard is small and intimate, but had room for a picnic table and a hammock. I want to figure out a way to get our hanging hammock attached to the tree somehow. We'll see if that can happen. As far as stuff near buy, there's a great coffeeshop not too far away called the Bean Factory. We spent some time there today. I suspect we'll be frequent customers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leila Z. said...

The house looks great! We miss you loads here in T-Town, but we'll see you soon and I know you'll do great things up North...

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home