Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Garage (Carport) Sale

Seeing as how this past weekend was our last weekend in Tulsa (it looks like I might be wrong about that, though, as I just found out we can't close on Friday as I had hoped we might be able to, so maybe we'll be here another weekend...bummer.) In any event, as we've been packing up stuff for our move to the Twin Cities, we keep wanting to get rid of more and more stuff. So we decided we didn't really want our couch any more (we'll get a new one in St. Paul or a "new used" one.) We didn't really want our entertainment center, either. And that gigantic desk in the Westwing - we didn't really want that either! The couch and the entertainment center were pretty easy to get out the front door. The desk was another story.

We had to remove two doors and sprain several backs to move that desk. Then we plunked it in the yard. We thought a lady was coming by today to pick it up, but so far she hasn't. We even had someone pay for a hammock stand we were selling and then say they'd come back later to pick it up, but they haven't. Is there a technical term for people who pay for something at a garage sale and then don't return for it? That's how I got the desk in the first place; the previous owners had a garage sale, sold the desk, and something else, and someone was supposed to come pick it up (at least that's the story they told me.)

Big ticket items seem to do well at garage (carport) sales. We ended the day loaded up with duckets. Or at least more than we started with. Plus, it was nice to unload some of our junk and some books too. We so often buy other people's junk, there's a perverse feeling to actually sell some of that junk back to people!

It was freaking hot, too, for the carport sale; the whole week has been in the 90s and 100s. It's a sign of global warming, I'm convinced. And I need to get off my ass and do something about it. Yes, me personally!

As update on the housing situation. Things for the Blair house (St. Paul) are all lining up just fine. We got the appraisal back and that was good, and the loan is coming together, too. But here in T-town, I'm afraid we hit a snag. We can't close on Friday which is what we wanted, and I'm not sure what that means. I think maybe we can close on the weekend, but I don't know. Drats. This house thing is tricky.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

Buying and selling houses is tricky - and I hope it all goes ok in the end. Keep us posted (get it?).

6:26 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

That's weird that the date changed like that. I mean, obviously things come up and whatnot, but I thought closing dates were usually pretty firm. Will this effect your closing here in the TC? Hope that all works out, let me know if there's any legwork that can happen here to help.

8:58 AM  
Blogger KT Stefanski said...

kt: and to think that i opted to drive to tosa using the denver route this time! i'll be thinking of you and jj when i hit the road this weekend to go back to tosa... maybe all of these housing snaffoos (sp?) are just a reminder to slow down... and celebrate the process. happy homeowning!

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home