Saturday, January 14, 2006

Spring Time in Chicago

This is hardly the Chicago I remember from Januaries past (this is my 4th January here, in the Modified Residency Program at Meadville Lombard). It has been down right balmy, with lots of rain. Yesterday, it couldn't decide between rain and snow and ended up sticking with rain. Bizarre. I wish it would snow.

It feels like spring, actually. The grass is somewhat green, there's all these Hyde Park parrots flying around, and it feels like tulips and crocuses can't be far behind. It's actually got me in the mood for spring and gardening. During class this week (it was a class on Unitarian Universalist Congregational Polity (ie, how our churches govern themselves; despite the title it was a fascinating class. We have our roots in the Pilgrims and the Puritans and their desire to form 'freely gathered' churches outside the church of England. Of course, it was based on the their understanding of the early church in the Christian Scriptures, but the key part was to be able to gather freely together, without coercion, to love and care for one another, to walk together, and to listen to the 'holy spirit' as it guided them...anyway, this is the tradition that we come out of...that freedom of conscience and independent churches, relating laterally to each other, is more important that hierarchy and coercion..))....so, back to the point: I've been looking at old pictures of our house and the awesome garden we have. I realize that many of you have no idea what the back yard even looks like so I've decided to share some pictures, given that it feels like spring time and I'm in the mood for planting. And on a more metaphorical note, I feel like I'm being "reborn" here - spending time connecting with colleagues, with my grandparents, and probably soon, with Laurel (and then a whole bunch of you next weekend!).

So - above: In March of 2003, while Juliana was away, I started work on the backyard patio. I order two tons of dirt and a ton of sand and a pallet and a half of sandstone rocks. Below is an updated shot from this summer (2005). There's another photo above, too. It has been the best part of this house, being able to garden, plant, work in the soil, and end good food that comes from 20 feet away. Last summer, we had eggplant, tomato, greenbeans, lettuce, watermelons, cantelope, cucumber, beets, peas, zukes, lots of strawberries, and more... I'm not a farmer, or even an expert gardener, but I really love it, and moving to an apartment in St. Paul has me a bit sad about not being able to garden. Just being connected to the soil/soul of the earth is healing for me...Maybe I'll do a little box garden.







2 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

Can't wait to see you too! Nice pictures - you have really transformed your back yard and it is beautiful! It will be hard to not have your garden, but maybe you can come up with window boxes or other ways to still work out your green thumb.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

I think there are some urban garden share programs - maybe one right near where you'll be - but I can't seem to find the links... I'll have to check it out. I think you had a plot in Ft. Collins once? Or someone did, by the Senior Center?

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home